SharePoint and Me

The ramblings of Craig Porter, Another SharePoint Consultant

  • Facebook

  • Useful Links

Archive for the ‘SharePoint’ Category

Large Memory Leak in SharePoint 2007

Posted by Craig Porter on 8 February, 2010

Todd Carter has discovered a potentially large memory leak in SharePoint 2007 / MOSS 2007 / WSS 3.0 that all sharepoint admins need to take note of. All details can be found on his blog http://todd-carter.com/post/2010/02/08/SharePointe28099s-Sasquatch-Memory-Leak.aspx

The larger the farm / installation the bigger the potential problem.

Thankfully Todd has done some sterling work and provided a fix which can be found at his blog.

Posted in MOSS, SharePoint, WSS | Tagged: | Leave a Comment »

Event Id 5401 – Trace service failed to create the trace log file – solved

Posted by Craig Porter on 25 August, 2009

This issue is one that i’ve come across a few times and each time I forget the, surprisingly simple, solution. So I’ve decided to blog the solution to share with others. The symptoms are fairly obvious, the application event logs of your sharepoint servers are filled with event id 5401 with description “Trace service failed to create the trace log file at ‘some arbitary path'”.   

Event ID 5401 - Trace service failed to create the trace log file

So, the solution. As I said previously it is surprisingly simple to solve. Open up the services console and locate the Windows SharePoint Service Tracing Service and open the property pane for the service.

Services console

Next, open the “Log On” tab and under “Log on as:” select the local system account radio button .. that’s it … problem solved!!! Told you it was easy 🙂 

Change the log on account

Posted in MOSS, SharePoint, WSS | Tagged: , , | Leave a Comment »

This Server is not the indexer of this search application

Posted by Craig Porter on 25 June, 2009

I ran into the ‘This server is not the indexer of this search application’ problem recently while trying to build a MOSS development environment.  This is the first time I’ve encountered this issue and I’ve built a lot of SharePoint environments in my time so I was understandably stumped.

The first thing I checked was MS KB923896 …
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/923896
… but this wasn’t relevant as the SQL installation was on the same server. I then tried rebuilding the environment only to encounter the same issue. I was, by this point, pulling my hair out. Then I stumbled upon a post on sharepointblogs.com by Ariel …
http://www.sharepointblogs.com/forums/p/13449/25768.aspx (4th post down)
… which seemed to make more sense with regards to my situation.

Ariel’s post indicated that the issue was that the farm was set up using the FQDN instead of the NETBIOS name. This looked like a possible solution as my farm was indeed using the FQDN so I attempted to follow the instructions listed by Ariel but ran into a few problems. The first problem I encountered was that I could not update the objects table (sql below) of the SharePoint_Config database as this caused a violation of a foreign key constraint. Hmmm …

Use SharePoint_Config

UPDATE Objects Set Name='YOURSERVERSNETBIOSNAME'
WHERE Id=(SELECT Id FROM Objects WHERE Name='YOURSERVERSFQDN')

Then, I checked the objects table of the SharePoint_Config database for both the NETBIOS and FQDN using the following query:


SELECT *
FROM objects
WHERE name
IN ('YOURSERVERSNETBIOSNAME', ' 'YOURSERVERSFQDN')

This returned two rows. I checked the properties column XML of each and noticed that the m_ServerRole property of the netbios row was set to invalid while the m_ServerRole property of the FQDN row was set to Application.


<object type="Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServer,
                    Microsoft.SharePoint,
                    Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
                    PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c">
<fld type="Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPServerRole,
               Microsoft.SharePoint,
               Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
               PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"
               name="m_ServerRole">Invalid</fld>

I then deleted the NETBIOS entry from the objects table using the query below

DECLARE @return_value int
EXEC @return_value = [dbo].[proc_dropObject]
@Id = 'ID_OF_ ROW_CONTAINING_NETBIOS_ENTRY'

SELECT 'Return Value' = @return_value
GO

This worked and the invalid NETBIOS row entry was gone. I was then able to run Ariels suggested query which essentially alters your farms configuration to use the NETBIOS name instead of the FQDN.

Use SharePoint_Config

UPDATE Objects Set Name='YOURSERVERSNETBIOSNAME'
WHERE Id=(SELECT Id FROM Objects WHERE Name='YOURSERVERSFQDN')

I then tried to start the WSS Search Service again and ….


… IT WORKED !!!!

Posted in SharePoint | Tagged: , , | 3 Comments »